Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tuesday Tunes

"Tropicalia is one of the most significant cultural movements in Brazil encompassing music, film, visual art and theatre."
From Soul Jazz Records

It's all awesome. This album makes me want to grow sideburns. I'm not exactly sure why, but it does. While Beck's take on this stuff is pretty good nothing beats the original. I've been pumping this album for 2 days and I'm hooked like I live on east Hastings.

Gal Costa - Sebastiana


Found at skreemr.com


That cut is from Gal Costa, tropicalialista and activist. One of the best things about this stuff is that while it's fun it was a force and a movement, not just a style. That's what first attracted me to punkrock, and why I've for the most part abandoned me punkrock listening habits now that songs-about-girlfriends-and-angst have taken over.

This was, although short lived, an important movement.

Anyway, here's to the demise of Bossa Nova!

No comments: