Friday, October 26, 2007

Bringing Web-apps back to the Desktop - Prism

When I first started learning about web applications I was super excited that my workflow could be unshackled from my computer. I loved them, except for when explorer/firefox/flock/safari crashed while I was browsing another tab.

Mozilla, brilliant folks that they are, has given us an awesome solution.Rather than needing to use a web browser to get to your web-app, prism, well, here's what they say:

Prism is an application that lets users split web applications out of their browser and run them directly on their desktop.
Mozilla Labs Blog » Blog Archive » Prism

I'm stoked on this because I use a boatload of web applications - stuff like the google calendar, gmail, facebook. Really, it's like one of those annoying popup interfaces but rather than popping up out of a website beyond my control, I get to choose what resides inside or outside my browser. I'm a big fan of me running my own show, and a huge fan of others enabling it.

Blogged with Flock

No comments: