Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Country

So, A lot of you know that besides being an undercover punkrocker, I love country music. It's not like thegenres are mutually exclusive, just that what most people see as country music is really just pop in a cowboy hat.

Last week was a phenomenal week for me as far as country music goes.

First up, I caught the Roy Forbes CD release concert. His new album, Some Tunes for that Mother of Mine is amazing (as are pretty much all of his albums). He was amazing, I've seen Roy about four times, and each time the experience is better than the last. There are a few tracks from the event (at the Beautiful and quite possibly haunted Vancouver East Cultural Centre) posted on his site.

As a guitarist I found this concert especially inspiring because roy forbes was accompanied by the indecently talented - his words - Robbie Steininger. In my opinion, Robbie is one of the most talented and tasteful guitarists playing today.

We also caught Shiloh Lindsey at Malone's in Downtown Van. She writes great contemporary country without the bubblegum pop aspect that makes me sick.

technorati tags: , , , ,

No comments: